In version 7.21.2 and above, the "Make a payment" screen now displays the outstanding balance and invoice number of the selected invoice.
If a client is leaving and has either an unused credit balance or requires a refund adjustment that won’t be used going forward, here is a suggestion for how to deal with it in Music Monitor.
For a credit balance brought forward
If a credit invoice has been produced (eg. if an invoice is produced with a credit balance and it is unlikely that any future charges will be billed to the debtor.)
1. Apply a payment of $0 to the invoice so the credit is carried forward.
2. On Debtors Form View layout, Line Items tab, change Category from Credit to Refund. (Add a new Category if necessary by clicking the pencil.)
3. Click somewhere else on the screen so record is saved, then click binoculars on that line item to view more detail.
4. On the 'detail' screen, enter a date in the 'Date Billed' field (so that it doesn't stay in the system as an 'uninvoiced' line item) and enter a note (perhaps a note advising whether it was a cash refund or a bank deposit, etc.)
For a refund line adjustment
If the refund needs to be made and a credit invoice HASN'T been produced (eg. if someone is leaving and they need to be refunded a couple of lessons).
1. Send the adjustment to the Accounts file same as usual (Tuition detail > change number of lessons to, say -2 > 'Send this one to Accounts' )
2. On that line item (either on Debtors or Students screen), change Category to 'Refund' (add Category to drop-down list if necessary)
3. Click binoculars to add a date in the 'Date Billed' field and a note explaining the type of refund.
The line item form view should be like this
On the Debtors screen a credit paid out as a 'Refund' will not show up in the Account Balance on the Debtors screen (in version 7.21.2 or above)
Alison is the developer of Music Monitor and loves adding things to make your life easier. Check in here regularly to see what she's working on!